What Is Posture?
- Posture is the position in which we hold our bodies while standing, sitting, or lying down.
What Can Affect Posture?
- Take a look around!
- We spend countless hours hunched over on our phones
- Sitting slumped watching TV’s and computers
- Even the way you sleep can affect posture!
Why Should I Care About Posture?
- Poor posture will cause back and shoulder issues, it effects your mood, weight, headaches, and even breathing patterns
- Over time, poor posture may result in a permanent flexed-forward position, this will increase your risk for falls, fractures, and low back pain
- Finally, EVERYONE has posture problems - even as I’m writing, I keep reminding myself to keep my back straight
Thankfully, Bad Posture is Treatable
- Be mindful of your posture during everyday activities, like watching television, washing dishes, or walking
- Stay active. Yoga, tai chi, and other classes that focuses on body awareness. It is also a good idea to do exercises that strengthen your core
- Make sure work surfaces are at a comfortable height for you, whether you're sitting in front of a computer, making dinner, or eating a meal.
Tips and Tricks:
- Sit straight tall and keep your head up
- Draw your belly in and contract your abs
- Pull shoulders back
- Take frequent breaks if you’re sitting down all day
If you are interested in correcting your posture, Physical Therapists are EXPERTS! We can help identify problems and fix them with individualized corrective exercises and stretches.